[uf-discuss] Plazes & Microformats

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Apr 19 14:13:58 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>>
>>> That's right. The reason you can't collapse a 'vcard' class name
>>> and its 'fn' class name is that it makes putting a 'vcard' class
>>> name inside another one becomes ambiguous.
>>
>> I've seen this explanation a few times, and I've never personally
>> found the separation of vcard and fn to be a problem, but I don't
>> understand the explanation.
>
> An illustration, from earlier in this thread:

I don't think you understood my question.  You've repeated the answer
I said I don't understand.  I still don't understand it.

>        <!-- the order is actually irrelevant here class="vcard
> agent" is synonymous -->
>
> Which hcard does the 'agent' belong to?

If we were determining belonging with a nearest-parent algorithm that
started with self, it would belong to the vcard in the same node.
What I'm asking is why this won't work.  I expect there is a good
reason, but I haven't read it yet.

> Now to make it worse:

> How about the second fn?

Same as above.  Every property belongs to its closest relation,
starting with itself, and then its parent, and so on.  This is how it
works currently, but with a different starting position.  So why
can't we change the starting position from parent to self?

Peace,
Scott