validating microformats (was Re: [uf-discuss] Google Gdata new syndication protocol!)

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:20:15 PDT 2006

On 4/21/06, Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >         http://norman.walsh.name/2006/04/13/validatingMicroformats
>
> Microformat validation seems like a hard problem to me, or at least a

It's only a hard problem if you insist on using inappropriate
technology to solve it.  Norm is a smart guy, but he's completely on
the wrong track thinking about how to build a useful validator for
microformats.  Perhaps he's hung up on the word "validator".  Perhaps
the word "linter" would be more accurate (although no end users would
understand what it means).

Wrong.  See http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-dev/2006-April/000083.html

> 2) Microformats allow arbitrary extension though the use of custom html
> classes provided by the document author. Unknown classes are still
> valid, so they can't be declared as errors.
> 3) The only validation that is possible is to ensure all data that must
> be present in a particular microformat is present.

Wrong.  See http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-dev/2006-April/000083.html

> So, what do we mean by microformat validation? I think x2v+human and
> hAtom2Atom.xsl+human is the best we can hope for.

I've seen a lot of this attitude, here and on uf-dev, and it is
utterly wrong.  (No offense to x2v.  It's a great tool, but it's not a
validator, nor is it a good basis for building a validator.)  Perhaps
the only way to convince you that a microformats validator would be
useful is to build the validator I'm imagining and show you.

--
Cheers,
-Mark