validating microformats (was Re: [uf-discuss] Google Gdata new syndication protocol!)

Colin D. Devroe cdevroe at
Fri Apr 21 09:50:12 PDT 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Mark Pilgrim wrote:

>> 2) Microformats allow arbitrary extension though the use of custom
>> html
>> classes provided by the document author. Unknown classes are still
>> valid, so they can't be declared as errors.
>> 3) The only validation that is possible is to ensure all data that
>> must
>> be present in a particular microformat is present.
> Wrong.  See
> 2006-April/000083.html

Whoa, guess I missed the second point, which also seems valid to me.
Take my comments for example on:

I might also assign another class to my comment links specifically,
and it won't break the validity of my hCards (that I know of).  For
example, if I wanted to do class="fn url comment_author_link" it
would still be fine.  Which I think is what is being said above as well.

Colin D. Devroe

Ps. Sorry for the multiple post, and being a rookie.