validating microformats (was Re: [uf-discuss] Google Gdata new syndication protocol!)

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 04:13:09 PDT 2006

On 4/22/06, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> In fact, DTD, Schema, etc. are insufficient to validate any real world
> adopted format, whether SGML, XML or something else.

That's too strong.

If you say DTD and XML Schema are both rather limited WRT to
validating XML, fine, but with RELAX NG it's actually pretty easy to
validate complex real world XML. While I haven't really worked iwth
it,, I'd bet the RNG schema for Atom does a really good job validating
Atom instances.

But as Norm's post pointed out, it does assume that important
structural information is encoded as elements or attributes, as
opposed to more funky stuff like token lists *in* attributes.

Bruce