[uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 24 19:18:53 PDT 2006

On 4/24/06, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On 4/24/06 3:39 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> > I'm very concerned that that may be an abuse of "abbr"; and wonder how
> > it will sound when read to someone using assistive software?
>
> This is a common misconception[1] about the title attribute.
>
> [1] http://www.sf.id.au/WE05/indexa.html#slide5

Isn't Andy's concern here not so much the title attribute but the use
of an abbr tag?
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#edef-ABBR

I mean, I suppose, ultimately, yes, an ISBN (or other URI/N) /is/ an
abbreviation of sorts.  I'm not entirely sure that the average person
would think of it like that, necessarily.  I'm also not sure how much
confusion it would bring, really.

Yours in nuance,
-Ross.