"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Atamido paul at msn.com
Tue Apr 25 11:22:40 PDT 2006

Tantek Çelik wrote:
>> I think the case for ISBN is no big difference from telephone number or
>> zip code, etc.
>
> The average person knows, understands, and uses telephone numbers and zip
> codes all the time. The same cannot be said about ISBN. This is a big
> difference.

The average person does not design backends or websites for displaying
any informative piece of information.  The average person also does not
view the source of generated content.  I am guessing most people
designing these systems know what ISBN is, as well as other terms that
most average people don't know.*  And everyone designing systems that
will generate content that uses ISBN will know what it is.

The most important thing is that the UI provides a way for the average
person to make use of the embedded information.  That being said, either
way would probably work fine as long as it's consistent.

Atamido

*After a time doing phone support, I became convinced that the average
person is an idiot.  This cynicism has led me to believe that interfaces
should be as simple as possible.  As long as the interface allows the
user to make easy use of the embedded information, it probably doesn't
matter how it is done.