"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Edward Summers ehs at pobox.com
Tue Apr 25 20:04:35 PDT 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 6:47 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> FWIW, I like Xiaoming's suggestion.

I'm glad Xiaoming expressed the case for URI so well. I just added it
to the uid-brainstorming [1] page. I have to admit I've seen the need
for a  identifying URIs elsewhere and when Tantek pinged microformats-
discuss with a straw proposal [2] that would help the LiveClipboard
and upcoming.org folks I saw an opening to sneak in functionality for
marking up URIs more generally.

The naming 'uri' vs 'uid' aside, would it be reasonable to RECOMMEND
that a URI is used (thus including URLs) and leaving the door open to
less useful ids should people want to use them? This would allow the
current hCard behavior to be preserved:

	"UID in vCard simply becomes another semantic applied to a specific
URL (or EMAIL) for an hCard."

As Xiaoming suggests both 'http' and 'mailto' are valid URI schemes
in RFC4395. Allowing a UID this flexibility would mean a UID could
serve as a module that hCard and hCalendar (and perhaps an hCite and
others) reference.

//Ed

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/uid-brainstorming#Proposals
[2] http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-