[uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 29 15:36:12 PDT 2006

Phil,

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 17:35 -0700, Phil Haack wrote:
> I am writing an article for an online development magazine on Microformats
> and I'm looking for some good online discussions on the benefits of
> Microformats over XML.
>
> So far I have:
> Reduced Redundancy (ex. RSS)
> Browser Support for Microformats since it builds on HTML.
> Ease of authorship
> Are there any others I am missing? Is there a good discussion you could
> point me to? I searched and didn't find a whole lot.  I may be using the
> wrong search terms. ;)

The short answer of when to use microformats is as follows:
You are writing some html that contains some useful human-readable
information. You say to yourself: I would like to mark this up with some
classes now for styling. You look up the relevant microformat, and you
pull in the standard names. You don't have to make your own up, and now
your page is machine-readable too. Bonus!

Benjamin.