[uf-discuss] hCard and vCard

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Thu Aug 3 13:02:47 PDT 2006

It looks like the powers-that-be have already come to a conclusion on
extending hCard. However, I'd like to point something out.

The discussed minimal-microformat
"come and hear <span class="vcard"><span class="fn">Ben
 Barren</span></span> speak about..."

Does not actually say that "Ben Barren" is a /*person*/.

All it says is that "Ben Barren" is a /*named entity*/ or a particular type.
According to vCard, "Ben Barren" could be a person, company or organization.
And with the latest proposed addition of using hCard for places, "Ben
Barren" could also be a location.

If the "key here is to capture and represent the additional higher fidelity
semantics," why are we agreeing to lose fidelity with the proposed changes
to hCard?

The original vCard definition makes sense for entities that you can contact,
i.e., send a message to. In other words, the kind of thing you might store
in, say, a contact database. That makes sense given the use case that
created vCards. "Places," however, are not necessarily contactable.
Extending hCard to places undoes quite a bit of quality work limiting the
semantics to be something specific and useful.

Frankly, I like the addition of hCard as naming places. It fits certain use
cases. It seems reasonable. It works. But when does it stop?  This gradual
transmogrification of one semantic into another is an insidious problem.  If
we are advocating dilution just barely one year after the creation of
microformats (and hCard), how much do you think it might change in 20 years?
And how will code written today survive those changes?  How long until an
hCard represents /any/ proper noun?

This is slippery slope. The loose discussion of the /meaning/ behind the
microformat seems only to cloud the issue further.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu
joe at andrieu.net