[uf-discuss] Getting started with microformats

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 10:41:51 PDT 2006

So I had the question posed to me yet again:

"Ok, we know we should do microformats... but we're not sure where to
start. Can you help us out?"

Seeing as how I'm probably not alone here, I was going to create a
"Getting started with microformats" page when I discovered a bunch of
confused pages that seem to be half-hearted attempts to solve this
problem:

* http://microformats.org/wiki/introduction
* http://microformats.org/wiki/what-can-you-do-with-microformats
* http://microformats.org/wiki/implement
* http://microformats.org/wiki/getting-started

They all seem to start with definitions and then run out of steam.

I would like to propose (and yes, this means work at some point, but
for now I'm raising the issue) that we create a well-written and
straight forward page that does answer the question: "I'm ready to get
started, so where do I begin?"

We could offer either a case study ("XCorp started by locating all
references to people and locations on their website. They then marked
up their pages using hcard. Specifically, this is the code they
changed..."). or we could offer general step-by-step instructions for
people who have flat HTML or database powered content... or, as I
mentioned before, for people using various tools, we could suggest
that they switch libraries or themes, for example, using the Sandbox
theme in WordPress.

In any case, I need a page to point to that will answer this question
for me... and so rather than dive right in, I thought I'd solicit
recommendations for other folks -- this page should be in the form of
an FAQ, but in the form of actionable information -- hell, make a
screencast -- but whatever it turns out to be, it should answer that
question succinctly and clearly: *once you've convinced someone they
should use microformats, what is the next most simple and satisfying
step that they can take to implement microformats?*

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Agent Provocateur, Citizen Agency &