[uf-discuss] citation: another example of practice in the wild

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 16 18:18:55 PDT 2006

On 8/16/06 5:50 PM, "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/16/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried my imagination on one of my straw examples. Does this fit what
>> you were expecting?
>
> In general, yes, though I'm not that comfortable commenting on the
> details of microfomrat design (exactly how best to encode the class
> attributes and such).

The two key steps are

1. determining which aspects to encode (from the implied 80/20 schema of the
real world examples that have been documented).  Bruce and others have
documented how hard the "80/20" is to determine in this particular domain.
The "hierarchical" nature that is often required as has been pointed out
points to a need for perhaps solving a *simpler* problem first, that of
specifying those particular components that may be used in aggregate to
compose a hierarchy.

2. for picking actual class names, that's quite a challenge since there are
multiple reasonable standards to choose from.  Here is some background
methodology:

http://microformats.org/wiki/naming-principles

>> One thing I noticed was that there seemed to be no DC term for what I
>> had as 'instantiation', or the link to a copy of the actual resource.
>> Maybe there's somewhere else we can borrow a term from, or was I
>> missing a good choice from DC?
>
> I don't have much experience with using them, but
> dc:format/dcq:hasFormat I think covers this.

FWIW, I don't think DC provides a particularly good set of names, far too
theoretically designed, and eclipsed in practical usage by several of the
other established formats (OpenURL, Bibtex).

Tantek