[uf-discuss] Getting started with microformats

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Thu Aug 17 12:39:21 PDT 2006

On 8/17/06, Graham Higgins <gjh-ufdiscuss at bel-epa.com> wrote:
> Well yes, that is strictly true in the context of RFC 2426 but it
> does seem to be a somewhat infelicitous choice of label, given that
> it is a user-facing data structure.

Heh, I see what you mean but I'm not sure HTML source is 'user-facing' ;-)

> Just in case I've misunderstood: in this context, does your
> understanding of the term "addressable" yield any special meaning
> beyond the generic "capable of being manipulated independently"? The
> term doesn't seem to be defined any more precisely in the RFC

I presume it means 'addressable' in the real-world sense, but it's not
very clear.

> I rather hoped to be able to provide the URI of an hCard for transclusion.

You should be able use the object-include pattern to page-locally
transclude an agent's hCard, which I think would be something like.

  <object class="include agent" data="#johndoe"></object>
can be reached via his secretary

The include pattern isn't specced work across pages, if that was what
you were hoping.

-Ciaran