[uf-discuss] vcard fn for name in "A. B. Smith" format

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 19:34:03 PDT 2006

Good Question Andy, you have several potential quirks with the string
"A. B. Smith".

I am assuming 'A' is an abberiviation for a first name? 'B' is a
middle name, and 'Smith' is the last name you can do the following:

First, just like all names in hCard we need to create an 'FN'
container inside a vcard.

Because your string does not fall into the 'Implied-N' category[1]
this is not enough. We need to explicitly mark-up what each portion of
the string means.

This gives explicit meaning to all the portions of the name and will
import into your address book just fine, but there is abit more
semantics we can add.

<abbr title="Andy" class="given-name">A</abbr>.
<abbr title="Brian" class="additional-name">B</abbr >.

By making the initial abbreviations, it is possible to add more
meaning to the individual letters.

I hope this helps, feel free to add it to the wiki if you think this
will help more people.

Thanks,
-brian

[1] - http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Implied_.22n.22_Optimization

On 8/28/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> I need to mark up a vcard for someone whose name is given as "A. B.
> Smith".
>
> I can't seem to find such an example on the wiki. How should I do so?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
>                 Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>
>
>                 Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>