[uf-discuss] vcard fn for name in "A. B. Smith" format

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 07:42:42 PDT 2006

I completely agree, if you are gathering this data via some web form
and you only capture 'name: ______' you shouldn't make assumptions
about what the 'A.' and 'B.' mean... i did in my example (otherwise it
would have been a pretty boring reply).

In general, if you yourself are going the marking-up of data that you
KNOW the meaning of, then certainly add the semantics where you can.
Otherwise, you can get into a big mess when you assume too much!

There is a service which attempts at guessing the N structure.[1] It
isn't perfect, but does fairly well.

-brian

[1] - http://tools.microformatic.com/help/xhtml/best-guess/

On 8/29/06, Ciaran McNulty <mail at ciaranmcnulty.com> wrote:
> On 8/29/06, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am assuming 'A' is an abberiviation for a first name? 'B' is a
> > > middle name, and 'Smith' is the last name you can do the following:
>
> > On 8/28/06, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, but I don't think you can asssume that. Better to just treat "A.
> > B." as the given-name string.
>
> That's a good point, there are quite a few people whose given name is
> their 'middle' name, it could be A. Brian Smith or Anthony B. Smith,
> you can't necessarily assume.
>
> -Ciaran

brian suda
http://suda.co.uk