[uf-discuss] OpenSearch

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Aug 30 11:49:20 PDT 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Ted Drake wrote:

> This is a sample product result from the search result page. Where
> would the
> OpenSearch/hAtom microformats be added?

For the results section, you'd just be adding hAtom to the results,
which someone more involved with hAtom would probably explain better
than I.  But to make an HTML version of OpenSearch, you'd also need
to identify that those hAtom entries are search results part of a
larger set.  A quick one-to-one mapping of OpenSearch to HTML looks
something like this:

class="total-results">4230000</span>, <span class="per-page">10</
span> per page.</p>
<input type="text" class="search-terms" value="New York History />

That's taken from the example here:

http://opensearch.a9.com/spec/1.1/response/#rss

That's a slightly different format of information that can be
inferred, but is not explicitly published on Yahoo! Tech.  For
example, I can see there are ten results per page, but that's not
stated anywhere.  And I can assume that page one starts at an index
of 1, and page 2 at an index of 11, but that's also not published
currently.  The total results and search terms are already published,
so they would just need class names to match the OpenSearch
properties.  And the difference between Yahoo's HTML and the
OpenSearch properties (e.g. page vs. index, stated per-page vs.
unstated) would need to be worked out through collecting more
examples and seeing which is more representative of the implied
schema for search results across the web.

Peace,
Scott