[uf-discuss] Citation: next steps?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 17:45:32 PDT 2006

On 8/30/06, Timothy Gambell <timothy.gambell at aya.yale.edu> wrote:

> For example, BibTeX's "author" field implies the medium of the cited
> work (if it has an author, it must be text).  This makes it difficult
> to reuse terminology: what if I'm talking about something that had a
> painter, not an author? Using a more general term, like DC's
> "creator" get's the same work done, and is more easily reused: it can
> be applied to text, paintings, websites, and so on.

I agree. I'd use creator and then also add author, editor and
translator, since those three are widely used in citations, and it's
important at least to distinguish the latter two (non-creator) roles
from creator/author.

In fact, I'd be fine with dropping author altogether; it's not
strictly necessary.

Brcue