[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

S. Sriram ssriram at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 08:37:27 PST 2006

From: "Scott Reynen" <scott at randomchaos.com>

>> So while it might be comforting to dismiss RDFa and "it's not our
>> problem", I don't think it's good strategy.
>
> A good strategy toward what end?  I think Elias has a problem that
> microformats are not intended to solve.  What he wants to do is have  a
> generic semantic model that anyone can use with any type of data,  and put
> it in HTML.  What microformats are intended to do is provide  specific
> semantic models, not just /in/ HTML, but using the familiar  tools of HTML
> as much as possible.

That's right, I think that what RDFa does is hint at realising the
potential that microformats (in general) offer (to institutions),
which 'microformats.org'
with its inherent (and probably valid) limitations stops short of.

Maybe, thinking of RDFa as microformats (in general) and
microformats.org/microformats as microfortmatted-objects (in particular)
might
help understand this relationship better.

S. Sriram