[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 14:43:44 PST 2006

On 12/7/06, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> If it is not a scarce resource, please tell me what would happen if I
> decided to start marking up documents, as an example, using the class
> "directory" and "license", for purposes other than rel-directory and
> re-license?  How could my markup and those Microformats co-exist in the same
> HTML document?

--- these values are not "reserved" across all of HTML. We have a
mechanism to prevent this, it is called Profile URIs, if a parser
comes across class="vcard" then the best way to determine if this is a
random CSS Style or a semantic value is to see if there is a Profile
URI that matched the XMDP of hCard.

(IMHO) i would like to see more profile URIs in use, but at the moment
this is not a real-world problem. We have many more important things
to deal with, so Profile URIs are a sort of "we'll cross this bridge
when we come to it".

It is also only a hypothetical issue, so until this becomes a real
issue, we're not going to worry too much about it, but we do have a
system that solves this problem. So we aren't "squatting" on any
values.

-brian

--
brian suda