'date accessed' in bibtex (was Re: [uf-discuss] hCite progress)

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 09:54:22 PST 2006

I noticed that 'accessed date' wasn't discussed in the resulting thread here.

As far as I know, it doesn't map to any 'official' field in BibTeX.*
It is perfectly fine to include it as a new field: 'accessed-date' or
something:

@misc{aslbp:2005,
title={A short-lived blog post},
accessed-date= {11/2005},
...}

If I wanted to display it in my citations list using bibtex and the
style files I've used, I'd put it in the 'note' field like this:
note={accessed on 11/2005}.

I'd prefer the 'accessed-date' solution, because it's more meaningful.
-mike

* meaning I'm not aware of any common style files that use it. There
could be plenty that aren't common or I haven't seen...

On 11/13/06, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, i have wiki-fied several citation examples from a previous
> email, with accessed date. I have not updated any implied-schemas to
> reflect any changes yet. I haven't outputted the accessed date into
> BibTeX, RIS or Dublin Core because i don't know what field they equate
> too? Alot of this will get flushed out when we start building examples
> and tests.
>
> All input is welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> -brian