[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sat Dec 9 05:40:37 PST 2006

The preceeding discussion about which class names apply to which
microformatted object ties into the conversation we were having nine
months ago (or so) about opacity; much is documented here [1].

My recent thinking has been that the following rules may work:

An "outer" microformat should
- never look for attributes inside nested microformats (particularly
hCard, hCalendar, hAtom and xFolk)
- never look for attributes inside BLOCKQUOTE or Q
- "unless explicitly defined to be otherwise"

This is still _theoretical_ and would need to be backed up by the
usual process related work, especially to see how it would impact
existing and proposed microformats. Note also my latest narrowing of
scope for an "item" microformat [2] which would make this less of an
open-ended statement.

Regards, etc...
David

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/mfo-examples