[uf-discuss] [implied hCards] Examples and wiki pages

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 07:18:22 PST 2006

On 12/8/06, Ryan Cannon <ryan at ryancannon.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> In lieu of working on my finals I decided to start a few
> wiki pages in reponse to Ryan King's call for research:

--- have had a look through some of the pages, i don't assume you are
finished, but i disagree with several of the points you have
brought-up... we've had LONG threads previously about how additional
semantics "bloat" html... while this might be true on some aspects you
examples conveniently ignore things.

For example:

quickly becomes:

<a class="url fn n" href="http://www.example.com/">
</a>

The first example of an 'a' element would STILL require some sort of
'block-level' element for the page to be valid, so when you claim that
the second instance is 500% more mark-up[1] that is not true, because
you are not comparing apples-to-apples. With the implied-brainstorming
page you never mention 'sort-string' so you are adding more mark-up to
distort the output because the second example would actually produce
MORE metadata in the vcard than your smaller implied first example.

Semantics aren't free, we can add simple 'implied rules' but i would
ask that we do so for one of two reasons? Either #1 you are trying to
save bytes (which IMHO is not a good reason) or #2 you are trying to
make publishing easier... so if we are going to work under the
assumption of #2 lets, try to avoid the whole "HTML Bloat" discussion.

-brian

[1] - http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-implied

--
brian suda