[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

Benjamin West bewest at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 20:45:41 PST 2006

On 12/11/06, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Benjamin West wrote:
> > I'm not quite sure what you mean here.  Is there a difference
> > between lowercase microformats and uppercase microformats?
>
> lowercase microformats = unofficial semantic markup embedded in HTML
> uppercase microformats = "Official" Microformat

That's the first I've heard of this usage.  I think what I'm hearing
(and agree with) is a need for a term that describes the product of
semantic markup techniques in a general way.  Lots of people are
already doing this, and don't need any official body to bless them.
Microformats (any casing) would be a subset of these products that are
blessed by pervasive use across the web.  I'm hesitant to pick out
such a name, lest I choose badly (eg AJAX).  I'm happy to let the
market pick that name (eg I don't think anyone should deliberately
pick it out.), but at the same time, I'm hesitant to let the term
microformats be applied to general applications of general techniques.

Does that reverberate at all with you, Mike, or anyone else?