microformats vs. semantic XHTML (was Re: [uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats)

Siegfried Gipp siegfried at rorkvell.de
Tue Dec 12 11:19:48 PST 2006

Am Dienstag, 12. Dezember 2006 17:17 schrieb Tantek Çelik:

> >> lowercase microformats = unofficial semantic markup embedded in HTML
> >> uppercase microformats = "Official" Microformat

There is no such thing as "lowercase microformats". I think that came from the
socalled "lowercase semantic web" vs. the "uppercase semantic web". The first
is the grassroots movement we all know as microformats, which is not highly
official and, most of all, does take a small step approach to semantic web,
i.e. not defining a new file format, just adding to an existing format. The
socalled "uppercase semantic web" on the other hand is the rdf and owl effort
of the w3c, which offers much more, but is hell complicated and defines two
completely new file formats.