the term microformat and encouraging people to play (wasRe:[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats)

S. Sriram ssriram at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:18:29 PST 2006

From: "Tantek Ç elik" <tantek at cs.stanford.edu>

> The term nor site microformats(.org) did not bring about a new category.
>
> The category pre-existed: semantic (X)HTML.
>
> "microformats" is the specific "brand" (your term) of semantic (X)HTML
> that
> follows the microformats principles and process.
>
> You could say that RDFa is another "brand" of semantic (X)HTML that
> follows
> its own principles.

Unfortunately, the use of a 'generic' term such as microformats turns it
into a 'category', because categories are created by (all the others out
there) others and inspired by products.

Rather than us extending this debate, I might suggest that you file this
away as the reason for the confusion. Solutions are entirely upto you
and if you need further reading, besides al ries I might suggest you
could also see seth godin's comments on podcasting & rss
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2006/06/being_brave_wit.html

S. Sriram