[uf-discuss] Regarding Profile URIs and Disambiguation (was Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Dec 12 15:43:14 PST 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Francisco</span>,

> title="child-of-continent">U.S.A.</div>
>
> How to disambiguate with Profile URI? (Please make the assumption
> that the
> developer of region-data knew nothing of vcard when region-data was
> published.)

As I've said before, I don't think this kind of same name, same
document, different meaning conflict is solved by profile URIs
(because they don't have namespaces).  But I also think it's both a
rare and a bad practice to use one symbol to communicate two
different ideas in a single context.

Nonetheless, in the interest of ending this discussion, here's what
you can do to solve this problem whenever you encounter it:

1) add profiles for both vcard and region-data, e.g.:

	<head profile="http://www.w3.org/2006/03/hcard http://yourdomain.com/
region-data-profile">

2) add prefixes to all your region-data tags when you decide to add
the conflicting hCard names, e.g.:

title="child-of-state">San

3) designate that prefix in a meta tag, e.g.:

	(where * indicates no prefix for hcard)

4) convince developers of region-data parsers to look for prefixes

Note this won't require any changes to hCard.  Now you can go crazy
with your double entendre markup and this list can move on with
developing microformats to solve specific problems.  Sound good?

Peace,
Scott