professional relations (was: XFN usage stats andRe:[uf-discuss]rel="muse" implies romantic relationship?)

Siegfried Gipp siegfried at rorkvell.de
Thu Dec 21 02:07:19 PST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2006 01:57 schrieb Mike Schinkel:

> Thanks for the comment, but I wasn't able to figure out what point you were
> trying to make.
>
> Were you saying that Microformats will develop to be a standard?  If that
> was your point, I don't debate it; I expect it. But w/o disambiguation and
> a way to scale of the process, I think it will create a mess.

Right. But some degree of mess is acceptable. Better than some system
developed by some elite, which my be perfect for that elite but useless or
not understood by the majority.

So then to be precise: No, microformats will never be a _standard_, there is
no ISO norm about that. But it will become some kind of "industry standard"
through relatively wide adoption, but that will always be a living thing. And
living things always include some degree of mess (or say: some degree of
chaos). That's acceptable.

> Or are you saying that there won't be a mess because you don't think many
> pages will use Microformats?

LOL No, contrary: There will be much mess out in the wild because most pages
do not even use semantic markup at all :)

But that's not a problem of microformats.