looking for patterns vs. dreaming up patterns (was Re: ecommerce was Re: [uf-discuss] Principles of Microformats?)

Benjamin West bewest at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 10:24:16 PST 2006

On 12/21/06, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure who originally wrote:

I did.

> Others skip the collecting examples (data) step and simply dream up patterns
> based on their intuition (or "expertise") - perhaps that is what you mean by
> "allowing myself to look for patterns".

It was based on an IRC conversation,
<http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats-IRC/2006-10-28#T222748>,
<http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats-IRC/2006-11-15#T223713>.

> That non-scientific technique has been tried in many (most) standards and
> results more often than not in bloated overly complex (certainly not
> "micro") standards.  There are exceptions, where an individual with
> exceptional discipline and near obsession with simplicity makes something
> small and elegant, but they are the exception, not the rule.

I'm not using this hypothesis to synthesize new standards.  It's just
something I've been thinking about, and am looking for evidence to
test it.  It is as basic a question as why some technology seems to
work and some doesn't.

>  http://microformats.org/wiki/why-examples

This is nice.

Thanks,