[uf-discuss] Extending hCard and hCalendar vs. strict adherence to vcard and vCalendar.

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Dec 22 07:55:56 PST 2006

It has been made clear [1] that vCard and, presumably, vCalendar are
unlikely to be developed or extended in the foreseeable future.

It is my belief that we should not let this prevent the development of
hCard and hCalendar; and that to do so would not harm compatibility with
the former.

For example, we could add a "date of death" field to hCard, and simply
mandate that it is ignored (or perhaps treated as a 'note') by parsers
which convert hCards to vCards.

Does anyone foresee any problems with extensions being made in this
manner?

[1] <http://microformats.org/wiki/vcard-suggestions#Note>

--
Andy Mabbett