[uf-discuss] rel="nsfw"

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Fri Dec 29 08:12:36 PST 2006

On Dec 29, 2006, at 8:46 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> In message <BC9F5796-2C67-462D-B48A-9FE6DB056554 at randomchaos.com>,
> Scott
> Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> writes
>
>> many  people are publishing "NSFW" warnings.  So vague as it may be,
>> it's  apparently communicating something useful on the live web
>> today.
>
> That's "something useful in a large judeo-christian western
> democracy",
> then...
>
> What's "safe for work" in China, or Iran?
>
> Is a nude picture of a 17-year old safe for work in Holland? Or the
> UK?

I don't think that matters AT ALL to the discussion at hand, which
was one of my points in my previous post. Its a judgement call by the
authors or contributors of a site... just like the use of most other
'tags' is fairly arbitrary and appropriateness can be argued to death.

The way I see it if we are examining the usage of the label, as is
and separate from any ratings system. I see it used quite often on
the web today - mostly in forums or community sites like fark, mefi,
message boards etc. There is little sense in arguing over its
appropriate application to the content because people are already
making those judgement calls themselves. Instead those interested
should probably look at the implementation details instead (see
Phae's previous links for a starting point... compare with
rel="NSFW"... look at live usage examples... try and come to a
consensus that can be FAQd and promoted)

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]