[uf-discuss] Footnotes

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 04:58:01 PST 2006

Hi all:

Lately I've been using a lot of footnotes on my blog, and footnotes seem to
be the perfect type of thing for a microformat. I googled prior discussions
but those discussions referenced several uses but didn't go anywhere.  Some
people pointed to "cite" but reviewing cite I wasn't able to find one
example or reference to usage as a footnote, and also found cite to be
overwhelmingly complex for my use-case.

My use-case is while writing I often want to add some additional background
to a point where the additional background is useful but tangential to the
point of the blog post. That additional background might be an external link
with comments but mostly it is just comments.

What I've been using is this:

href="#2006-12-31-slug">[1]</a> blah blah blah<a class="footnote-ref"
href="#2006-12-31-slug">[2]</a></p>

Then at the bottom of the blog post:

	<ol class="footnotes" id="2006-12-31-slug">
		<li>Blah blah blah</li>
		<li>Blah blah blah</li>
	</ol>

Note I haven't been calling out each footnote individually because doing so
is more work that I really have wanted to put into this level of semantic
markup but if there were a well thought out microformat I might be willing
to go to the extra effort.

I don't have much bandwidth to devote lots of time to this issue (it's
tactical for me, not strategic), so if others aren't interested and it
doesn't require too much debate then I'd like to see what we can do. If not,
I'll just do what works for me and not worry about it for now.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/