wiki-thon? Re: [uf-discuss] Microformats.org usability review

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu Feb 2 13:34:14 PST 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:16 PM, David Osolkowski wrote:

> On 2/2/06, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at opendarwin.org> wrote:
>> Review/revise desired pathways for:
>>         New users learning about microformats
>>         Microformat lifecycle
>
> Indeed, it does seem that people new to microformats are often either
> entirely unaware of or somewhat confused about the process that exists
> to create a microformat.  There have been a few instances of a
> proposal for a new microformat being sent to the list with, for
> example, no indication of current behavior or formats.

Yes, this is a common occurrence. However, I just want to point out
that it has been getting better. When we first started
microformats.org, it seemed like half of the people joining this list
would propose a new format almost instantly. We've not got it down to
about 1/10 or so. :-D

> This is not an
> accusation; I recall several people talking about how the microformats
> process is a different way of doing things, thus it is reasonable to
> expect people will be unfamiliar with it.

Certainly.

> Microformats-the-formats
> have gotten a lot of recognition, but microformats-the-process seems
> to be languishing a bit, when in fact they are significantly
> connected.  I think we can do something about that.  At the least,
> separate but clearly related (probably containing the word "micro")
> names to disambiguate the two concepts could be useful.

I'd be interesting to hear any proposals you have here. However, I'm
not sure you could really extricate
--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com