[uf-discuss] Signalling use of microformats?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Feb 9 13:09:10 PST 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 2:56 PM, Patrick Tufts wrote:

> My experience is that crawlers will parse all HTML, and that the
> effort
> to recognize an HTML-embedded tag that says "hey, this is a
> microformat
> page" probably won't make life much easier, as by that point the
> page is
> getting parsed anyway (in other words, there's nothing further to
> prioritize).

I understood the advantage of profiles was not so much to save
crawlers from wasted parsing, but just to establish a formal
difference between someone marking up their holiday card with
class="hcard" and a microformat hcard.  I haven't seen any holiday
cards marked with class="hcard", but I have run into a few people who
seem to think this is a major problem with microformats, and it's
easier to point them to the profile that allows them to disambiguate
than to explain that there isn't really any ambiguity anyway.

Peace,
Scott