[uf-discuss] Re: Microformats for scientific papers

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sun Feb 19 15:26:30 PST 2006

On Feb 19, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Alf Eaton wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2006, at 15:54, Ryan Cannon wrote:
>
>> I like your use of space-separated class names (e.g. citation
>> reference book), but you do have a little bit of redundancy:
>>
>>   - <abbr> implies an abbreviation, so class="journal-title-abbr"
>> could just be "journal-title"
>
> That's true, but it's going to be easier for parsers to use the
> class name to differentiate rather than having to look at the node
> name as well, so the redundancy might be worthwhile.

Microformat parsers must treat titles as the full content of a <abbr>
node regardless of what you name the class, so you're not actually
saving any parsing time here.

>>   - <li id="ref16"><a name="ref16"> is redundant and may be (not
>> sure) illegal.
>
> THe (X)HTML validator doesn't seem to complain, so I think it's ok.
> The thing is, the <li> surrounds the citation, so needs an
> identifier, but there also needs to be an anchor link in the page.
> I think you can ignore the internal anchor links as far as
> semantics go: they're only really useful for page navigation, as
> they don't wrap anything useful.

See:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.10

Particularly "Both of these attributes are designed to be used as
fragment identifiers." which means you can't use the same one twice
in the same page even if one is name and the other id.  Also "XHTML
1.0 documents MUST use the id attribute when defining fragment
identifiers on the elements listed above" one of which is <a>, so
name is deprecated there, even if the validator doesn't know this.
You'll find when you remove the name="ref16" that the id="ref16"
functions just as well as an internal anchor.

Peace,
Scott