[uf-discuss] Product Data Microformat

Chris Roos chris at seagul.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 01:59:52 PST 2006

David Beach wrote:
> I'm David Beach. I work for Yahoo! in Yahoo! Shopping. I'm interested in
> creating a microformat for product information. It's possible that this
> could be very useful for merchants, manufacturers, and aggregators. I
> think that this would complement hReview and hListing.
>
> Does anyone know if there has been any progress in this area? I've done
> some research and haven't found anything specific. I'd be interested in
> collaborating with folks to create such a standard.
>
> Thoughts?

I think this is something we would be interested in getting involved in
too.  Would people see this encompassing the concept of a "universal
object identifier"?  I can see that this might not be core to a product
microformat but would definitely be good to get some discussion going.

I work for reevoo.com where we aggregate reviews from blogs and our
corporate site.  We need to be able to determine what product a review
is about (hence the interest in the universal object id) in order to
group it with other reviews of the same product.  We currently use some
custom urn's to determine the product as in this[1] article.

It'd be good to hear how other people are attacking this problem and how
it fits in with the proposed product microformat.

Chris

[1]
http://www.reevoo.com/blogs/bengriffiths/2006/02/07/using-urns-to-identify-products/