[uf-discuss] User Profile Microformat

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Mon Jan 2 00:34:41 PST 2006

Kevin Lawver <kevin at lawver.net> Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:44:03
>I was looking at hCard today (and around the web) looking for ideas
>around a user profile microformat.

Ecademy is a big creator of this data. I've tried to find ways of doing
this (within the limits of privacy) without a lot of success. We have
FOAF and VCard[1] already and wanted to provide a microformat way of
doing this. I ended up thinking I should have a separate page with
profiles formatted in html for printing and with the embedded
microformat for machine reading. But a big problem was the limitations
of both vCard and FOAF in describing all the data.

I'm really puzzled that there isn't a better web standardised way of
describing a person. With all the work going on around Single Signon
from the likes of OpenID, SXIP, LID, MS and so on, we need a
standardised way of transferring that data.

[1]Don't get me started on the extremely variable support for vCard.
Apps that support it are very picky about reading and writing it.

--
Julian Bond  E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:           http://www.ecademy.com/     T: +44 (0)192 0412 433