[uf-discuss] hReview feedback

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Jan 13 13:04:36 PST 2006

Paul Bryson wrote:

> I would suggest that neither is used.  The vast majority of reviews
> on the
> web exist in sites like Amazon.com and IMDB.com.  In these, users
> write
> reviews and rate the item based on some numerical system, but they
> typically
> don't state in the text what that rating is.  And in most cases,
> the rated
> value is listed as only an image, with no numerical value
> attached.  (IMDB
> lists an average and upper bound for the aggregate of reviews, but not
> individual reviews)
> Newegg.com applies a title to a span that contains a number of images.

Though it's hard to find on the wiki, there is a list of real world
examples of reviews:

In addition to not explicitly stating the lower bound (as Paul
mentioned), I don't see a single example in that list that uses 1 as
a lower bound.  Which raises the question: why was 1 used as the
default lower bound?  I'd look for an answer on the brainstorming
page, but I haven't found it yet.