[uf-discuss] locality sans adr;abbr for state/country etc?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Jan 16 13:05:42 PST 2006

On Jan 16, 2006, at 11:54 AM, B.K. DeLong wrote:

> I was taking a look at ADR and thinking about context.
>
> Say I want to make more of an effort to contextualize my blog
> postings. I referenced the city I live in - Salem - and would like
> to state that it is, indeed the city of Salem, MA.
>
> First, can I even label Salem outside of adr?

> class="locality">:Salem</span> it was 57 degrees out. </p>

This is certainly valid, semantic, markup.

> or should I simply make it

> class="locality">Salem</span> it was 57 degrees out. </p>

But I'd say that his is more semantic, because you're reusing the
semantics of http://microformats.org/wiki/adr.

> Or would that confuse anyone processing the content to think the
> whole paragraph is an address.

Anyone parsing that should only be looking for the adr subproperties,
so they *shouldn't* be confused.

> Likewise, has anyone thought about using proper semantics to
> abbreviate regions? I looked in the logs and didn't see any chatter.
>
> i.e.

> title="California">CA</abbr>

I don't think there's been any discussion of this, but I've seen
examples of people doing precisely this. So, you're not alone here.

> Just thinking out oud. Comments and responses welcome.

-ryan