[uf-discuss] Fwd: Press release microformat

admin Yellowikis yellowikis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:09:50 PST 2006

Would hAtom allow an embargo on a press release?

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_sourcing#Embargo):

"In journalism and public relations, an embargo (sometimes called a
press embargo) is an agreement or request that a news organization
refrain from reporting certain information until a specified date
and/or time, in exchange for advance access to the information. For
example, if a government official is preparing to make a short speech
announcing a policy initiative at 1:00 pm, the official's staff might
transmit expanded details of the initiative to news organizations
several hours ahead of the scheduled announcement, with a notice
indicating that the contents are embargoed until 1:00. This gives the
news organizations time to research and prepare complete stories that
are ready to be disseminated when the embargo is lifted. In theory,
press embargoes reduce inaccuracy in the reporting of breaking stories
by reducing the incentive for journalists to cut corners in hopes of
"scooping" the competition."

Paul

On 1/17/06, Tim White <tjameswhite at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks. That's exactly why I posed the question -- if it looks like
> it's covered (as Scott pointed out) then we're all set.
>
> I'll take a look at hAtom (which I haven't done) and others.
>
> Tim
>
> --- Tantek �elik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi Tim, B.K.,
> >
> > My first instinct on a press release format is -
> >
> > Why not just use hAtom?
> >
> > Is there a clear need for anything beyond hAtom?
> >
> > (I personally don't think so at first glance).
> >
> > However, if you or anyone does think so, please start a
> > /wiki/press-release-examples page per the microformats process and
> > let's
> > analyze it at least one level deeper.
> >
> >  http://microformats.org/wiki/process
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tantek
> >

> > On 1/17/06 1:21 PM, "Tim White" <tjameswhite at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Funny, I was about to ask the group the same question -- has anyone
> > > looked into a press release format?
> > >
> > > I did some initial poking around at whatever press rooms I could
> > fine.
> > > No patterns emerge; most were pretty much tag soup (as where  the
> > > sites).
> > >
> > > (Sorry, I didn't catalog which sites I looked at; just started
> > randomly
> > > looking at any press info on sites I was visiting for other
> > reasons.)

> http://mail.pubsub.com/pipermail/structuredblogging-discuss/2006-January/00011
> > > 9.html

> > > ~ Tim

> > > <a
> >
> href="http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=12227&t=1">Get
> > > Firefox!</a>

Yellowikis is to Yellow Pages, as Wikipedia is to The Encyclopedia Britannica