[uf-discuss] Fwd: Press release microformat

Andreas Haugstrup solitude at solitude.dk
Tue Jan 17 17:05:19 PST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:54:09 +0100, B.K. DeLong <bkdelong at pobox.com> wrote:

> At 07:47 PM 1/17/2006, Scott Reynen wrote:
>>  admin Yellowikis wrote:
>>
>>> Would hAtom allow an embargo on a press release?
>>
>> Do you have an example of anyone publishing an embargoed press
>> release on the web?
>
> Agreed - embargoed press releases are usually emailed or faxed straight
> to trusted journalists who would respect the embargo. Posting them on a
> public Web site defeats the purpose.

They are also republished by wire services to their clients. At least in
Denmark the wire agency Ritzau sends embargoed press releases (and
stories) to newspapers via their electronic telegram service. I agree that
posting embargoed stories on the open web would defeat the purpose, but
they might be posted in non-public parts of the web (though it is harder
to research).

- Andreas