[uf-discuss] citation microformat?

Edward Vielmetti edward.vielmetti at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:53:48 PST 2006

I added to the cite-examples page the output
from one routine in the zoom and zmarc part
of PyZ3950 which puts out the citation using
Dublin Core (DC) elements only.

http://www.microformats.com/wiki/cite-examples

If you want to blame citations for being complicated,
you can go all the way back to the MARC standard,
which has a zillion fields and subfields each with
their own local, national, and international semantics.
Hairball soup.

If anyone wants to collaborate with me on producing
working examples of cites from python and library
catalogs, give me a shout, I will point you to all
the code I know about.  (and then I'll write it up
somewhere - but you have to ask).

Ed

ps. sorry for not sending text/plain to the list yesterday,
my bad.

pps.  MARC is so bad that it doesn't even do Unicode,
so there are some hairy character set issues to deal
with.  whee.

ppps.  Z39.50 uses ASN.1 and BER.  a blast from the
past.  be glad the libraries hide all that.

Ed