[uf-discuss] /wiki/use, was: Press release microformat

Mark Rickerby maetl at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jan 19 15:38:10 PST 2006

On 1/20/06, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Tim White wrote:
> > --- Tantek �elik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not so sure about that "put on the microformats.org site proper".
> >>
> >> It's much easier to maintain/correct/update content on the wiki
> >
> > But much harder to find, especially for someone new visiting the site.
> > (The wiki is not the most user-friendly...)
>
> Are you talking about wikis in general, or specifically ours?
>
> If its ours, and you have ideas for improving our IA/organization,
> feel free to suggest them (and volunteer :D).
>
> >> (especially
> >> in a distributed community fashion), and unless something is fairly
> >> solid/figure out, it probably should be kept on the wiki.
> >
> > Agreed. The page should be pretty solid.
> >
> >> The "use" page will undoubtedly grow *every time* someone asks for a
> >> new use
> >> case or a new microformat to do XYZ.  This seems like a good fit for
> >> a wiki
> >> page.
> >
> > Good point. So maybe a page with some of the more common questions
> > (like the current "use" wiki page) could be put on the mf.org site
> > proper, with a "see more uses..." linked to the ever-growing wiki
> > page?
> >
> > I'm just thinking of newbies (like me : ) browsing the mf.org pages. I
> > know the wiki was pretty off-putting to me at first.
>
> Please share your feedback, so that we cann improve things

I'm sensing that this could be possibly be a typographic issue. The
visual style of mf.org is so harmonious and bold - people are greeted
with this stunning presense, but are then plunged straight into the
dense information space of the wiki.

So from my IA perspective, it would definitely be a good idea to have
more content pages at this top level. I know that the goals of
microformats.org are very pragmatic and community driven, but it seems
like the quality of the branded typography could be put to good use in
answering the basic questions covered partly by the "use" page, partly
by the "faq", a more gentle way of leading people in, especially for
those who are more visually oriented.

Regards,
Mark