[uf-discuss] Microformat for linking to XML source (to replace the Structured Blogging plugin's embedding method)

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Fri Jan 20 11:38:51 PST 2006

Philip Pearson wrote:

 >>> Is that valid inside the HTML <body> block?
 >>

 >> No, but <a rel="alternate" type="application/xml">foo</a> is.
 >>
 >> RTFS: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-links.
 >
 > Excellent - thanks Mark and Ryan!  I didn't realise that the "type"
 > attribute was valid on <a> elements.

In theory, you'd have to make sure that the <a rel="alternate"> didn't
appear on index pages where there was more than one post, only on
individual post archive pages (because it's saying that the linked page
is an alternate representation of the current page).

Having said that, people use <link rel="alternate"> (wrongly) to link to
their main site feed from individual post pages all the time, so you
might get away with it.

alf.