[uf-discuss] citation microformat encodings

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 24 14:39:08 PST 2006

On 1/24/06 11:57 AM, "brian suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the weekend i started to make some serious headway on the citation
> microformat.

Hmmm... as far as I can tell, there are a bunch of steps missing before any
progress can be made on a cite microformat in particular.

For one, the cite-examples page:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-examples

Needs an analysis of each example, along with the documentation of the
implied schema from the example.  See the examples page for some best
practices documentation

 http://microformats.org/wiki/examples

> I did run into several properties that
> could benefit from some of the microformat schemes we have already
> developed. For example, KEYWORDS, SUBJECTS, are both normally a series
> of terms that identify the reference. This is akin to rel="tag", so it
> makes the most sense to just reuse that microformats.

Yes it makes sense to re-use rel-tag for keywords.

HOWEVER, judging from the examples on the cite-examples page right now,
since NONE of them have "keywords", there is currently nowhere near enough
justification for adding a notion of keywords to the cite microformat
schema.

> Along the same lines as
> keywords, there is a property called 'GENRE' this works exactly like
> keywords only there is a slightly more structured approach.

See above.  No evidence in examples.  No reason to include it for now.

> i have several more issues when it comes to IDENTIFIERS because they can
> be of many types, ISBN, ISSN, URI, etc. most of these can be handled,
> except in instances of some ambiguity.

I believe everything you listed can be represented as a URI.  Thus the "be
of many types" issue appears to be a non-issue.

> Once i get my notes in order i will post them to the Wiki, in the
> mean-time i can field any questions via email off-list.

At this point there is still significant work to be done on the
cite-examples page, a little bit of clean-up on the cite-formats, and a lot
of clean-up on the cite-brainstorming page.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-examples
 http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-formats
 http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-brainstorming

I plan on working on these in the next few days.

As there is clearly a lot of interest in the a cite microformat, I suggest
that anyone interested please join the IRC channel and hopefully we can have
some rapid discussions there.

Thanks,

Tantek