[uf-discuss] citation microformat encodings

Tim White tjameswhite at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 18:07:43 PST 2006

It seems that we need to refocus on what we are trying to do with a
citation micoformat. What problem are we trying to solve?

For me, I'm not out to replace OpenURL, Coins, or any other system. I'm
simply interested in a good way to present bibliographic data (from a
simple book title to a partial citation to a full-blown MLA citation)
in HTML.

Hopefully the result of our work will result in a modular and flexible
format that everyday people can use in their blogs, etc; a structure
that the Amazon.com's could adopt; something we could implement at work
in our online catalog.

And, as a result, perhaps those working with libraries will be able to
harvest information and translate it into/out of a format that they
need. I think hCard is a brilliant example of what can be done with
standardized markup.

The discussion of OpenURL, et al. is informative. These formats exist
and so it only makes sense to look at what they've done and see where
it leads us.

That's what I'm after. Anyone else?

Tim

PS: Ross, that's a great intro to OpenURL. I've only been familiar with
the everything-in-the-url bit before. Thanks.

http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:xml:xsd:ctx

> and the "Implementation Guidelines" link from that page for more
> information) and is a much more human readable format.  This still
> (obviously) falls outside the scope of microformats, but makes the
> point
> that encoding has nothing to do with the CO itself.  They are just
> agreed upon means of conveying the CO to enable machines act upon
> them
> consistently.
>
> The ContextObject could be conveyed just as easily in XHTML using
> attributes, as long as the terms follow the vocabulary defined in the
>
> OpenURL framework.  The important thing to focus on here is the
> ContextObject -- the address of the link resolver /is/
> institution-specific and should be handled by a user's (or machine's)
>
> activating agent.
>
> However, the link resolver is still a very important component to
> this
> whole process.  Getting users "appropriate copy" is a very real (and
> very difficult) problem that libraries are trying to solve.  Link
> resolvers are a pretty efficient means of overcoming this hurdle, so
> it
> would make sense to mark up bibiographic citations in a way that link
>
> resolvers can easily parse.
>
> I hope this clears up a little bit of the confusion.
> -Ross.

~ Tim