[uf-discuss] FYI: Google web authoring statistics

Mark Rickerby maetl at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jan 25 19:15:08 PST 2006

Sorry if some of you have already seen this, if not, I think it's
quite interesting...

Google's massive survey of text/html documents on the web:

Of specific relevance to this list:

class="title" is the third most commonly used class, and
class="content" the 6th most, which could be significant in terms of
some of the recent hatom/hcard/hreview disambiguation discussions.

It looks like only a tiny % of hyperlinks use the rel attribute, but
of those that do, that data is also interesting.

rel="nofollow" is *far* more common than anything else, but
rel="license" is surprisingly widespread too. rel="tag" is catching up
to rel="bookmark", though their commentary on this is a little

Though I do find their phrase "rampant bad UI" quite amusing, and
unfortunately all too true.

see also...