[uf-discuss] CFP Microformat

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Thu Jan 26 07:19:42 PST 2006

At 10:08 AM 1/26/2006, Paul Denning wrote:
>I recently posted a message to xml-dev [1] asking if anyone knew of
>a format (XML schema) for a Call For Participation (CFP), which
>typically is associated with a conference or symposium.
>
>I then thought that perhaps a microformat would be nice also.
>
>Obviously the conference could have a page that uses hCalendar for
>the event schedule, such as, [2].
>However, they did not use hCalendar for their CFP [3].
>
>Perhaps a CFP could use hCalendar plus some additional conventions.
>
>For example,
>
><dl class="cfp">
><dt class="vtodo"><abbr class="due"
>title="20060215T1700-0500">2006-02-15</abbr><span
>class="summary">Abstract Due</span></dt>
><dt class="vtodo"><abbr class="due"
>title="20060315T1700-0500">2006-03-15</abbr><span
>class="summary">Acceptance notification</span></dt>
></dl>
>
>[1]  http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200601/msg00104.html
>[2]  http://www.code4lib.org/2006/schedule
>[3]  http://www.code4lib.org/2006/proposals
>
>Thoughts?

Really cool idea. However I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worthwhile
to start microformatting CFPs with a combination of hCalendar, hCard,
and hAtom. Between the three the properties are already there for the
most part - the same for press releases.

What we need to do in cases like this is markup sample CFPs and post
these examples on the wiki for others to use.

I bet, at a minimum, we could get someone at O'Reilly to markup all
their current outstanding CFPs such as the Feb 13 due date for OSCON
2006 or IDG with the LinuxWorld SF 2006 CFP.

Once we have several CFP or Press Release examples marked up, we can
see what's really missing from pre-existing microformats and see if
we really have blanks to fill in.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org         Son.
http://www.haloworldwide.com            Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org           Volunteer.
http://www.brain-stream.com             Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org       Potter.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org