[uf-discuss] hReview on stocks

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:18:54 PST 2006

On 1/20/06 2:32 PM, "Benjamin Carlyle" <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 23:54 -0800, John Panzer wrote:
>> Is there a recommended way to use hReview to "rate" stocks?  I think
>> everything maps very well except that the target of this particular
>> review is neither a person nor a web resource, but a stock ticker
>> symbol.  (Note that ticker symbols aren't tied 1:1 to organizations, so
>> using hCard doesn't seem appropriate.)  Of course I can simply make up a
>> unique URL per ticker symbol easily enough, but that seems hacky.  Any
>> thoughts?
>
> I was able to dig up some prior art on uri identification of ticker
> symbols[1].

> [1] http://www.mddl.org/ext/scheme/symbol.asp
> http://www.mddl.org/ext/scheme/scheme.asp

Those URLs were too abstract to be useful.

I didn't see any examples, e.g. how would you use their "scheme" to identify
MSFT for example.

> Alternatively, you might refer to a yahoo url for the ticker
> symbol, or some other appropriate source. If worst comes to worst you
> could always use the ticker symbol itself as the hReview item's fn,
> however ideally you would also identify the marketplace the ticker
> symbol is valid in.

In addition, perhaps you are really reviewing the company behind the stock
not just the stock.

This is an interesting enough issue/question that I have added it (with an
answer) to the hReview FAQ.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hreview-faq

Thanks,

Tantek