[uf-discuss] FYI: Google web authoring statistics

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 28 13:22:15 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 16:15 +1300, Mark Rickerby wrote:
> http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/classes.html
> class="title" is the third most commonly used class, and
> class="content" the 6th most, which could be significant in terms of
> some of the recent hatom/hcard/hreview disambiguation discussions.

I'm struggling to find exact references to it on microformats.org, but
isn't one of the microformats principles that we try not to collide with
existing class names? If that is the case, you could take this survey to
mean "don't use these class names" as much as you could take it to mean
"people understand and won't be surprised by these class names". What is
the right way to think about hAtom content given the above data point?

I suppose the answer depends on how people are using content. Content
may be a poor choice if people routinely are use it to contrast the
left, right, and centre divs. I would guess that not many people
currently use content in a way that is consistent with hAtom's use at
this time.

--
Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au>