[uf-discuss] UID in iCalendar

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 12:42:00 PDT 2006

I do remember awhile ago we discussed using ID as UID, i can't find the
archived message at the moment. The one concern was that UID is to be
globally unique, whereas the ID attribute is only document unique, so if
we are going to construct an implied UID, then we could look to the RFC
recommendation and do something like:

<id>@<host-name>

where <id> is the fragment identifier for the page and <host> is the
exact page where the <id> was found.

For example,
http://events.example.com/#123
would become
123 at events.example.com

and

http://events.example.com/europe/#123
would become
123 at events.example.com/europe

we need to take the full URL so that there are not collisions in the UID
when there might be IDs called 123 on two different pages.

I need to now look to see if/what needs escaping in the URL string
(slash '/' needs to become '\/')
-brian