[uf-discuss] IRC Meetups?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 9 08:46:38 PDT 2006

Brian,

Consider starting by volunteering your own "office hours".

I have a feeling that if we reach a critical mass of overlapping "office
hours", each set by the individual for themselves, that sufficient overlap
will allow for adhoc/impromptu IRC meet-ups to take place.  Overlaps will
attract more folks to join IRC during those times and meetups will emerge
naturally without having to do any formal scheduling.

I don't know about other folks, but I for one have found it difficult to
keep up with the propose/repropose meeting arrangement cycle as well as
unable make it to *any* of the IRC meet-ups, despite being on #microformats
A LOT.

What does it mean to have a "meet-up" in a room where there are on average
40-50 people 24/7 anyway?  Are those people not meeting up?

That being said, if I have to pick something, I prefer the organic
decentralized emergent meetup model to the top-down organized model.

The former is also more flexible and can more easily evolve/shift without
requiring a lot of overt communication.

Thanks,

Tantek